ABOUT THE EFFICIENCY MAINE TRUST
The Efficiency Maine Trust (the Trust) is the statewide program administrator for market-based Demand-Side Management (DSM) programs and carbon reduction initiatives in Maine. This position is not part of the Maine State Civil Service System. More information on Efficiency Maine can be found at www.efficiencymaine.com.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Regulatory Affairs Manager’s primary responsibility will be conducting and/or supporting the Trust’s interactions with the Maine Public Utilities Commission. The individual will stay current with compliance commitments, submit requests for approval of the Trust’s plans and budgets, and monitor cases related to the Trust’s interests. The individual will work closely with the Executive Director and Strategic Initiatives Team Leader to draft and file required materials and will be expected to represent the Trust at Commission proceedings from time to time and to serve as the liaison to utilities and other parties to such proceedings. The individual will also be a resource for Program Managers to determine if proposed program design changes will fit within the Trust’s existing regulatory authority.
A secondary responsibility of the Regulatory Affairs Manager will be working on the staff team that oversees independent evaluations of the Trust’s programs. This oversight will include both independent, third-party evaluations and ongoing, real-time measurement and verification.
Successful candidates should have a background in regulatory affairs and a general knowledge of utilities, energy efficiency, conservation, and alternative energy. The Trust seeks candidates with strong writing and speaking skills. Candidates should be technically and analytically oriented with an acute attention to detail. This position contributes to a mission-driven, enjoyable and stimulating work environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
• Regulatory Affairs: Serve as the primary point of contact for all matters relating to the Trust before the Public Utilities Commission, other state and federal agencies, and ISO New England;
o Work closely with the Executive Director, the Program Director, and the Strategic Initiatives Team Leader to draft filings, track deadlines and ensure that the Trust is meeting its regulatory commitments; and
o Assist the Executive Director and Strategic Initiatives Team Leader in representing the Trust before regulatory agencies; • Data Analytics: Synthesize financial and energy savings data into understandable reports and graphics, which will require working with both the Trust's financial management database and its energy efficiency savings and tracking database; also contribute to the preparation of white papers and reports, both internal and external; • Project Management: Manage teams of contractors and internal teams of Trust staff to ensure that deadlines are met and that appropriate resources are brought to bear on critical projects; and
• Research on Technology and Program Delivery: Investigate emerging Demand-Side Management technologies (energy efficiency, distributed generation, energy storage, load shifting, etc.) and relevant program delivery strategies deployed across the country; prepare written summaries, including recommendations based on research.
• Position currently has no supervisory responsibilities over other members of the Trust staff.
• Position may assist or manage the work of contractors or subcontractors.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required, with preference for a concentration in economics, business, government or a similar combination of education and experience; • Employment: Work experience in regulatory affairs, public policy, legal analysis or similar position required; experience in utility regulation, utility management, or other energy industry preferred; • Key Skills: o Experience in regulatory and or legal case management; o Strong writing and verbal stills; o Strong analytical skills required, with experience analyzing financial and energy data in Excel preferred; o Strong attention to detail; o Strong project management; o Familiarity with energy markets and energy price forecasting; o Flexibility in handling multiple assignments; o Ability to work both alone and in a team environment; o Advanced user of Microsoft Office software, especially Excel; • Key Knowledge: o Knowledge of energy efficiency measures and technology preferred; o Understanding the programs, technology, or business of Demand-Side Management is preferred; o It is preferred but not required that candidates have experience with energy price forecasts in general and/or energy markets in the New England.
Additional Job Competencies
• Teamwork -- Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork, establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve goals of the organization and to build a culture of customer service;
• Critical thinking – Ability to assess program designs, project proposals, program performance, budget priorities, energy technologies, funding opportunities, and proposed innovations or reforms with objective analysis and a critical eye to maximize the effectiveness and integrity of the Trust’s programs; • Communications – Ability to speak, write and present in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques; Demonstrated success in developing a clear understanding of the intended meaning of others; Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization;
• Problem solving – Ability to identify and assess problem situations, identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and resolve the problem.
• Creativity – Demonstrated ability to apply creativity and innovation to the workplace to advance the objectives of the organization.
Usually works in an office environment. Occasional travel required.
Most duties performed from seated position, with occasional standing and walking; frequent use of computer keyboard requiring finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Occasional driving required.
The above information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained. Other duties are as assigned or as priorities of the Trust dictate.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Michelle Fenlason, Administrative Assistant at 168 Capitol Street, Suite 1, Augusta, ME 04330 or by e-mail to: email@example.com.