Manager, Market Development & Innovation
CLASP is seeking innovators with staff management experience who have an extraordinary mind for program development, execution and administration as well as knowledge and understanding of the interplay between product technology, markets, and policy to bear in the design and execution of our growing high-impact market-building programs. CLASP programs move markets toward and increase market share of high efficiency and high quality products. Innovative products – from refrigeration for off-grid consumers to the switch to DC power and the internet of things – are game changers for how we all use energy. Incentivizing good appliances to buyers up and down the supply chain reduces risk for everyone, and builds up markets that are weak or disorganized. Central among these initiatives is an ambitious new research and innovation program focused on accelerating off- and weak-grid markets for highly-efficient appliances.
As a Manager you will lead a dynamic international multi-disciplinary team to turn ideas into high-impact market-building solutions. You will use your stellar people skills and collaborative orientation to build partnerships with a wide-range of stakeholders, expand the reach of our programs, and deliver high-quality, high-impact outcomes. In addition, you will be responsible for the professional development and coaching of coordinators and associates on the team. As you gain experience and build a record of accomplishment you will take on greater ownership of client management and overseeing projects with more complex dynamics.
At the Senior Manager level, you have a record of accomplishment in taking greater ownership of client management and overseeing projects with more complex dynamics.
As a Manager, you must be as deeply committed to your work and your team’s work and the value of it as your colleagues are of theirs, and collaborate effectively with them and others to capture the huge opportunity to accelerate our transition to a more sustainable world.
Ideal candidates will have a track record of success as project managers and as a team leaders - developing and managing project work plans, structuring analyses, assigning work, developing new insights, and addressing relevant issues. In addition, ideal candidates must be able to produce a variety of written work products that are clear, concise, and of impeccable quality, and be able to effectively present their work product to both internal and external audiences.
You will be expected to perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Oversee day-to-day activities on projects and run client interactions in coordination with CLASP’s Senior Management Team.
- Manage projects and programs in collaboration with CLASP’s communications and operations teams.
- Manage coordinators and associate to effectively execute program activities.
- Manage international experts, consultants, and vendors
- Organize stakeholder outreach, research and consultations
- Lead the preparation of project scope and working planning documents
- Plan outreach activities with the communications team
- Coordinate with external partners as well as colleagues across CLASP
- Monitor and manage project performance against budget, scope progress according to planned milestones, expenses and revenue, and internal and donor reporting
- Assist in developing overall initiative strategy and prioritization of research and project activities
- Lead the presentation of program and project work at workshops and other internal and external events
- Support the Senior Management Team with donor stewardship, business development, and engaging directly with foundation and government funders.
Research & Knowledge
- Guide and support junior staff to do high quality research and data analysis
- Manage the development of database and their subsequent applications relevant to appliance energy efficiency and energy access.
- Coordinate with partner organizations on research efforts and the creation of linkages and synergies
- Guide the development of new data sets and analysis
- Author or co-author knowledge and outreach products (e.g., reports, briefs, data products, blogs)
- Participate in internal and external peer review processes for publications and papers.
- Develop project proposals and concept notes
- At least three to five years of professional experience in business development, project management, and/or program administration; experience in the clean energy sector or analogous sectors preferred. Familiarity with emerging technology development and with off-grid, rural, or emerging market product distribution and/or supply chains is ideal.
- Master's degree or equivalent professional/academic experience in international relations, development, economics, environmental science/policy or a related field.
- Ability to connect with and influence people in a diverse, international work environment
- Confident and polished communication skills
- Ability to work with partners and assess the need of stakeholder groups
- Creative analytical skills
- Ability to connect research results to measurable external change
- Strong work ethic and an ability to take initiative
- International experience preferred; bilingual or multilingual a plus.
- Ability to travel in both developed and developing countries
- Prior supervision and mentorship of one or more junior staff
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
The compensation package at CLASP is highly-competitive with international NGOs based in the United States. In addition to salary, the package includes health insurance, unlimited leave, holidays, and a retirement plan.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample here.
CLASP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.