At MEEA, we leverage our unique position as the Midwest’s key champion and trusted information resource on energy efficiency policies and programs to help our members and stakeholders identify, understand and implement cost-effective energy efficiency strategies that provide economic and environmental benefits. As a collaborative network and an influential membership organization spanning thirteen states, we provide a professional forum where energy providers, policymakers, implementers, manufacturers, advocates, and other stakeholders can make connections, seek advice and learn about energy efficiency. With our dynamic annual conference, MEEA plays an important role in forging partnerships, promoting new technologies and curating the evolving conversation around economic sustainability and environmental stewardship from energy efficiency.
MEEA seeks a passionate individual who understands building science principles and the importance of strong building efficiency policies. We offer a highly collaborative environment, where the Building Policy Associate will join the Building Policy Team in advancing MEEA’s building policy initiatives at the local, state and regional levels.
The focus of the Building Policy Associate’s work will be assisting the Building Policy Team to advance state and local building energy code and benchmarking ordinance adoption, implementation, and compliance; conduct energy use modeling in residential and commercial buildings; and research and understand new building efficiency technologies that have the potential to improve building performance and drive deeper energy savings. The Building Policy Associate will also be responsible for planning MEEA’s Annual Midwest Building Energy Codes Conference. The Building Policy Associate will coordinate with other MEEA staff who work on building-related energy efficiency programs, will represent MEEA at local, regional and national conferences, and will develop and maintain relationships with outside organizations in order to advance the work of MEEA.
In addition to the key responsibility described above, the Building Policy Associate would be responsible for the following:
- Develop fact sheets, policy memos, testimony, public comments, white papers and other advocacy materials, as needed
- Track building policy developments in MEEA’s 13-state region and help disseminate this information through MEEA’s building policy newsletter
- Assist in coordinating educational and outreach activities to increase awareness and understanding of building energy policy and the role of energy efficiency
- Write articles, blog posts and use social media to promote MEEA’s mission
- Data entry and organization for MEEA’s building research projects
- Passion for building science and a commitment to energy efficiency and environmental issues
- B.A or B.S. required in one of the following, or related field: engineering, building science, architecture, environmental science, public policy, political science, or natural resources management
- Excellent organizational, writing, communication and public speaking skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and manipulating large datasets
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities
- Ability to maintain a high attention to detail while adapting to shifting priorities
- Dedicated employee willing to work as a member of a team in an open-office environment
- Understanding of building science principles
- Advanced degree in architecture / engineering/ building science or public policy/political science, preferred
- Minimum 2 years of experience in engineering/architecture, building science, or public policy, with experience in energy efficiency, preferred
- Experience with REMrate, EnergyPlus, commercial and residential building design and construction, HVAC Systems, a plus
- Ability to travel 10% of the time
MEEA offers a competitive employment package with salary commensurate with experience.
Civic Opera Building
20 N Wacker Dr.
Chicago, IL 60606
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with Subject: “Building Policy Associate” by November 20, 2017.
Candidates who do not submit all three items will not be considered. Candidates considered for interviews will be asked to provide writing samples and three references. No phone calls please.
MEEA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, gender, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.