About the Organization
California Environmental Associates (CEA) is a boutique environmental consultancy based in San Francisco, CA. For more than 30 years, CEA has helped transform markets, business practices, public policies, nonprofit organizations, and philanthropic strategies to achieve positive outcomes for the environment. Our work is guided by a deep knowledge of the scientific, regulatory, political, social, and economic underpinnings of our most pressing environmental problems.
CEA’s Philanthropic Services group is a tight-knit team of a dozen consultants which supports the work of environmental foundations and nonprofits, as well as sustainability-oriented businesses. We assist with both short-term projects and long-term engagements. Our work ranges across a variety of environmental topics including marine conservation, climate change, energy policy, sustainable agriculture, land use and conservation, freshwater management, transportation, wildlife protection, and urban sustainability. While the geographic nature of our projects vary, they often have a global and/or international scope. With respect to our services, our main functions for clients include:
- Analysis and research: CEA specializes in producing neutral, in-depth analyses for our clients. We regularly blend an ability to conduct expert interviews on strategy and feasibility questions with a technically strong team capable of working with large data sets and scientific literature.
- Program design: CEA develops grant-making program strategies for foundations as well as strategic plans for NGOs. As above, this work requires understanding the programmatic and management needs of the organization, with an ability to work with experts to vet strategies.
- Landscape review and program evaluations: Clients commission landscape-level reviews on the state of philanthropic and NGO actors in a given field. We also conduct program evaluations for foundations, in some cases running monitoring and evaluation programs for them.
- Organizational development and support: CEA writes business and operational plans, and has incubated new NGOs, led the launch of international offices, and helped organizations work through critical transitions.
For a more in-depth description of our services and philosophy, please see our website: www.ceaconsulting.com.
CEA is looking for an Associate to provide support to the firm’s Philanthropic Services Practice Area. The successful applicant will be responsible for the day-to-day management of large and complex consulting engagements for clients, including large environmentally focused foundations, NGOs, and bilateral and multilateral agencies.
S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day management of large and complex consulting engagements for clients, including large environmentally focused foundations and non-profits. The work environment is collaborative, intensive, and likely to require travel. The position requires intellectual rigor, independence, demonstrated attention to detail and a passion for environmental issues. This exciting opportunity will provide opportunities for interaction with key stakeholders and emerging issues in the environmental sector.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in problem structuring, including work planning, issues analysis, process planning, etc.
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis, both quantitative and qualitative, utilizing literature reviews, interviews with issue experts and stakeholders and data collection.
- Draft and design written documents; produce clear and engaging presentations and reports
- Interact with and manage client interactions
- Ensure quality control of outgoing work products and correspondence
- Assist in marketing efforts, helping in the production of summary memos, proposals, and presentations as needed
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; Master’s degree or MBA preferred, or extensive work experience
- At least three to five years of experience as an associate, or related position, with a management consultancy, investment bank, foundation, or non-profit
- Experience in climate change, marine policy, fisheries reform, land preservation, sustainable agriculture, forestry, and/or air quality, a plus
- Project management experience and a history of involvement in analytically complex projects
- Excel modeling skills, excellent writing skills, and design all valuable assets
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with senior management
- Ability to keep calm under pressure, handle sensitive matters with discretion, and interact with a diverse array of people with diplomacy and enthusiasm
- An insightful, curious, pragmatic, and strategic mind
- Foreign language skills a plus
- A deep commitment to the conservation-related mission of CEA
- A sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
The expected start date for this position is Fall 2017. The position will be located in San Francisco, California. CEA offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements:
Inquiries received via phone call or direct email will not be eligible for review.
CEA is an equal opportunity employer.