Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Manager, Evaluation, Conservation and Energy Management
Job Number: BCH-R-5804-170515E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
BC Hydro is an energy conservation leader among North American utilities, implementing a large portfolio of programs and initiatives that encourage customers to conserve electricity and use it more efficiently. BC Hydro is also initiating new programs to encourage customers to reduce their use of electricity during system peak periods and to substitute the efficient use of clean electricity for fuels that emit greenhouse gases.
The Evaluation Department in BC Hydro’s Conservation and Energy Management Business Unit is responsible for the evaluation of energy management initiatives in BC Hydro’s service territory, including programs, conservation rates and government codes and standards. The Department also undertakes research to better understand the market for energy consuming products and how BC Hydro customers use electricity. The Department is made up of one manager, and eight senior level employees with expertise in economics, statistics, engineering, the social sciences and project management. It also uses as a suite of consultants and contractors.
The Department’s work is challenging and complex, involving a variety of clients with different and evolving needs, extensive primary research and an associated need to anticipate data needs far in advance, multi-year evaluation projects with numerous dependencies and a thorough oversight process. It plays a critical role in maintaining stakeholder confidence in the veracity of BC Hydro’s reported results from energy management initiatives.
The Evaluation Department has access to rich and extensive data to support its work, including measurement and verification results on individual projects, monthly and interval electricity consumption data for all customers and data on customer account characteristics.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Evaluation, Measurement and Verification, the Manager of Evaluation has accountability for the following duties:
- Developing and periodically updating a strategy for the delivery of evaluation services that meets the changing needs of BC Hydro’s Conservation and Energy Management Business Unit.
- Designing and implementing work processes that support efficient and effective delivery of research and evaluation services.
- Leading and overseeing relations with internal clients and broader stakeholders.
- Leading multi-year and annual work planning that considers regulatory requirements, the evaluation strategy, client and stakeholder needs and budget considerations.
- Providing technical leadership in the selection and application of data collection and evaluation methods.
- Conducting evaluation research design, analysis and report writing.
- Overseeing project management of the department’s work.
- Reviewing and/or editing all evaluation reports.
- Implementing a thorough quality assurance and oversight process that ensures evaluation work is neutral and of sufficient quality.
- Defending the Department’s work in regulatory proceedings before the BC Utilities Commission.
- Supervising the work and professional development of Evaluation staff and managing consultants and contractors.
- Managing a $2 million annual budget.
- A bachelor’s degree in a field that is relevant to the quantitative analysis of customer energy use and energy program evaluation, such as engineering, statistics, economics or mathematics.
- A professional qualification related to evaluation, such as Certified Evaluator, Certified Measurement and Verification Professional or Professional Engineer, or the ability to acquire such a qualification.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, preferably in program evaluation and/or energy analysis.
- Demonstrated skills in work planning, work process design and/or project management.
- Extensive experience analyzing customer energy use data.
- Proven technical writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Experience leading teams of professionals and strong interpersonal skills.
The following qualifications would also be an asset
- A master’s degree in a field relevant to program evaluation.
- Experience leading and conducting applied research.
- Management experience in a utility environment, including managing employees, consultants and budget.
- Thorough knowledge of program evaluation methods or energy conservation programs.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 30th, 2017.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.