Energy Codes Program Manager
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a mission-driven leader that develops market-based solutions to today’s climate and energy challenges. IMT seeks an Energy Codes Program Manager to maximize the extent to which the country is reducing energy consumption and carbon emissions through ambitious adoption and enforcement of energy codes. He or she should be a pragmatic visionary who can communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, from building code officials, to Mayoral staff, to private sector actors such as builders and architects. The Energy Codes Program Manager is responsible for developing and implementing IMT’s vision related to energy codes, overseeing high profile projects, managing key partner relationships, and solidifying IMT’s position as a creative, thoughtful leader on energy codes. The successful applicant will have not only knowledge of energy codes and project management, but also a keen ability to communicate clearly the importance and value of codes to today’s climate and energy challenges.
As the organization’s primary subject matter expert, this individual will lead IMT’s efforts to improve the efficiency of buildings through energy codes. Some responsibilities require a technical understanding of buildings and energy use, while others involve strong communications skills. Primary responsibilities are outlined below.
- Lead and serve as primary spokesperson for IMT’s building codes strategy development and oversee all work activities.
- Exercise creativity and vision in scoping and overseeing projects that consider the intersections of resilience, equity, and energy efficiency in the built environment
- Stay abreast of energy codes-related initiatives and coordinate with partners and other thought leaders—enabling IMT to build on the work of others, learn from their efforts, and avoid duplication
- As the primary investigator on a few national projects, employ strong project management skills, keeping projects with multiple partners on tasks without losing sight of the bigger picture
- Present publicly to stakeholders, with the ability to customize messaging for audiences as diverse as local code officials, state and federal officials, builders, architects, manufacturers, utilities, etc.
- Demonstrate a level of technical knowledge sufficient to oversee compliance field studies and develop recommendations that improve the private and public sectors’ compliance and enforcement
- Provide direct consulting to local governments—such as those participating in the City Energy Project—to glean maximum energy and carbon savings through energy codes
- Manage codes staff and contractors where applicable
- Conduct research and analysis, determine and communicate “best practices” for residential and commercial building energy code adoption, training, and enforcement
- Develop, document, and communicate innovative practices, policies, incentives, and technologies
- Provide IMT staff and government agencies with relevant materials, updates, and information as appropriate
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in building science, engineering, architecture, or fields relevant to energy efficiency, construction, buildings or real estate
- Experience with public policy analysis and research
- Experience with building energy codes and building science, as well as with the terminology of energy use and energy conservation in buildings, including experience working in or with building departments or enforcing or complying with building energy codes
- Experience in energy efficiency, construction, buildings operation, or real estate
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong writing and oral communication skills
- Self-directed and demonstrated ability to manage projects independently
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
IMT offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience as well as health, dental, retirement, and vacation benefits.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Energy Codes Program Manager” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
IMT is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC, with a mission to promote energy efficiency in buildings. Achieving that vision requires market transformation, a process of strategic intervention in the market to remove barriers to energy efficiency. We work in partnership with policymakers, environmental groups, and business leaders that are helping shape the future of energy efficiency in America. Our efforts contribute to important new policy outcomes and widespread changes in practice that benefit the economy and the environment. For more information, visit imt.org.
We are headquartered in downtown Washington, DC. We provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to learn constantly while achieving big things and we have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity--including racial, ethnic, and gender diversity--and is committed to promoting and fostering diversity within our organization and Board of Directors. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.