The Business Technology Sr. Program Manager – NYEM position within IT, will support the New York Energy Manager (NYEM) as it relates to the implementation of the information technology strategy and data solutions and architectural design of the NYEM digital Platform. Within the NYEM program, the Sr. PM will be working with the NYEM business to startup new business services, gain marketshare and drive new energy efficiency capabilities for our customers. Services include customized advisory, decision support and optimization, demand response and energy information services. The program manager will align with the NYEM business and coordinate IT program and portfolio services including project plans, budgets, cost, and stakeholder management under the program. Program decisions are guided by policies, procedures, business plans, functional strategies and priorities from the VP of New York Energy Manager with direct oversight from Sr. Director of Business Transformation. This role will help to ensure the realization of the New York Energy Manager’s strategic initiatives and digital transformation.
The Business Technology Sr. Program Manager would lead the alignment and delivery of IT services to support the NYEM business. The Sr. PM would be responsible for coordination, program and project management, scheduling, budgeting, costing and technical performance of IT projects and programs to support NYEM. They will be responsible for defining and managing IT technology programs and projects aligned to business requirements, proposal development, contract negotiations, and contract compliance. Proposal preparation would include assisting with plans, specifications, and financial terms of the contract. They may assist with business development initiatives and partnerships with third-party service providers.
The Sr. Program Manager will ensure master plans and schedules are followed, engaging enterprise architecture and technical solution subject-matter experts for developing solutions to program challenges, and directing others for successful completion of projects on time and within budget, with the aid of quality assurance, risk mitigation, vendor management, and change management.
The Sr. Program Manager will provide supervision of the development of the NYEM Platform and associated services to support NYPA’s strategy to become a fully digital utility, with NYEM being the digitization of the NYPA customer experience.. The Sr. Program Manager will lead a cross functional team and performing liaison activities with upper management and other external and internal stakeholders to ensure the rollout and implementation is successful.
The Sr. Program Manager’s responsibilities will include governance, alignment, quality assurance, management, integration, optimization, tracking, finance management, infrastructure, planning, and improvement of the NYEM Platform:
- Governance: working within (and also challenging) the existing governance structure, processes, and procedures to accomplish objectives, which include metrics of success and associated deliverables.
- Alignment: entails understanding a top-down vision, with goals and objectives from the business strategy flowing through to successful completion of projects for program objectives.
- Quality assurance: includes checks and balances for compliance with standards and vision alignment.
- Management: involves regular reviews for accountability and successful management of project, stakeholders and suppliers.
- Integration: integrating components for best fit leading to program success.
- Optimization: of performance across program platforms to achieve the best functional and technical value.
- Cost tracking: requires tracking all program component costs to ensure they fit within the overall program administration costs.
- Lead the development and implementation of a broad, coordinated set of plans and programs to meet the goals and priorities of the NYEM business.
- Work with IT, Strategy and the NYEM business to align the strategic direction and associated services with programs to understand business requirements. Align IT and NYPA stakeholders to develop new business services through an orchestration of IT programs and projects.
- Facilitate the definition of program missions, goals, tasks, and resource requirements; resolve or assist in the resolution of conflicts within and between programs or projects or functional areas; develop methods to monitor program progress; and provide corrective supervision if necessary.
- Cultivate contacts with vendor requirement planners or developers — to obtain information about future vendor developments in the functional area and to try to influence those developments in ways favorable to NYPA.
- Responsibility for assembling the program and/or project staff; for their technical or functional development, performance, and/or termination during the project or projects.
- Manage program budget and resource allocation. Facilitate the definition of service levels and customer requirements. Interact regularly with existing or potential clients to determine their needs and to develop plans for improving delivery. Advocate on behalf of clients and represent clients' needs as appropriate to senior management. Work cross-functionally to solve problems and implement changes.
- Follow a defined, agreed upon program and project management methodology.
- Present oral and written reports defining plans, problems, and resolutions to appropriate levels of management.
- Participate in outside professional activities to maintain knowledge on developments in the field.
- Establish liaisons with universities and other comparable vendor users to keep abreast of status of computing and communications activities at these institutions.
- Continuously improve project management toolkits and methodologies. Provide expertise and consulting to project managers in the process of project management and in the softer skills of team dynamics, team building and group motivation.
Demonstrated technical skills in all phases of systems analysis techniques including:
- Outstanding grasp of information technology concepts and processes.
- Broad understanding of IT industry trends and tools as they apply to providing solutions to stated business issues and opportunities.
- Ability to identify and implement practical technical solutions within acceptable business value parameters and cost/benefit determinations.
- Knowledge of IT existed solutions and portfolio
- Knowledge of high level programming languages, databases, or application packages.
- Knowledge of LAN, SAN, hardware, VMWare, network, telecommunications and other infrastructure/data center environments and platforms.
- Knowledge of Experience with Disaster Recovery Requirements and Procedures.
- Knowledge of IT operation processes and procedures
- Knowledge of IT server, network, and database support
- Understands and adheres to all IT change management procedures and incident reporting
- Ability to verify that applications are functioning properly after any change
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or business discipline.
- An advanced degree in data science is preferred
- Project Management Certification is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of increasingly responsible experience, including experience successfully managing various programs or projects.
Must have previous experience and working knowledge of energy efficiency services including decision support and optimization, demand response, energy information, and customized advisory services.
Deep knowledge of principles, practices and theories in own professional discipline. May have knowledge of more than one professional discipline.
Outstanding record of project management success, both in results achieved and in use of professional methodology.
Understanding of project management phases, techniques and tools:
- Planning: definition/scope/requirements/scheduling
- Execution: managing project performance and deliverables
- Monitoring/Controlling: ensuring scope, workplans, resources, deliverables, Q/A, transition planning, etc. are all adhering to plan. Escalating where necessary. Risk mitigation
- Closure: completion, contract closure, and assessment
Pro-active in developing and implementing strategies that significantly mitigate risk.
Understand IT missions and operations.
Understand who the client is and what the client's needs are; provide realistic expectations; establish specific customer satisfaction standards and actively monitor client satisfaction.
Knowledge of organization's methodology and tools.
Considered a resource for others.
Strong and current awareness of external trends and best practices.