The Senior Energy Engineer assesses commercial and industrial facilities with regards to energy efficiency, renewable energy and/or energy storage projects, and assists Project Managers on program level tasks, such as providing technical reviews and field inspections to ensure projects conform to program requirements.
Essential Functions and responsibilities:
• Perform, and delegate as necessary amongst other engineering team members, assigned project tasks or activities as a technical lead with responsibility of determining technical approach and ensuring quality of technical deliverables meet or exceed expectations
• Exercise discretion in making decisions regarding project tasks which directly impact success of the project or engineering team
• Assist department manager in preparation of project scopes and hour estimates in support of business development opportunities
• Work on a variety of projects and tasks, including completing project fieldwork/audits, engineering analysis, and report production
• Utilize analytical tools and measurement and verification methodologies to evaluate the performance of, and make recommendations for, energy systems and equipment
• Conduct site inspections and/or gather data needed to perform energy-related analyses of sites or equipment
• Prepare written analysis of findings and recommendations for energy efficiency, demand response, and self-generation measures for submittal to clients
• Support various utility program management teams and assist with project analysis and program tracking
• Understand current and future program policies and code requirements and evaluate and explain potential impacts on current and future projects
• Serve as a resource to project staff on technical/engineering issues or project scoping
• Interact closely with project manager and clients in order to meet project deadlines and budgets
Essential knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Understanding of how quality of work and timely completion of tasks or activities impact success of project, team and/or organization
• Proficiency in engineering design or simulation software (e.g. eQuest, EnergyPlus, AutoCAD, Solid works, etc.)
• Strong background in evaluating HVAC, refrigeration, and/or lighting systems and alternatives for commercial and/or industrial customers with experience reviewing the work of other engineers
• Strong knowledge of building codes and standards (e.g. CA Title 24, ASHRAE 90.1, IPMVP, etc.)
• Demonstrated proficiency to apply engineering principles to determine viable solutions to unique or unfamiliar problems
• Effective collaboration with other departments within the organization, as well as with external partners or clients
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to present complex or intricate material in a transparent and succinct manner to executive level clientele
• Advanced skills in using Excel based tools and spreadsheets
• Experience evaluating alternative generation technologies (e.g. solar PV)
• Knowledge of emerging efficiency or generation technologies (e.g. energy storage)
• Experience in leading/performing site visits to assess existing facility or equipment conditions
Education and/or experience:
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent related experience, in Engineering, Energy Management, Environmental Sciences or other related discipline where coursework or experience shows substantial analytical and/or technical content is required
• Master's degree preferred
• 8-12 years of related experience
• Graduate school experience may take the place of some work experience if directly relevant to essential duties and responsibilities of this position
Computer and/or Technical Skills:
• Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Familiar with standard office procedures, filing, telephone techniques and operation of office equipment.
• Advanced uses of word processing, spreadsheet, database and other standard software to create well-formatted documents and materials requiring interpretation and critical thought.
• Proficient in typing and good at spelling, punctuation, grammar, and oral communication.
License, Certificates or Registrations:
• Valid California Drivers License; insurable in the State of California required
• Mechanical or Electrical CA Professional Engineering License required
• Certified Energy Manager preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Employee will work in an office environment and must possess the physical abilities to utilize standard office equipment on a daily basis: computer, telephone, copier etc.
• Sitting for extended periods of time while at a desk or in meetings; hearing and visual acuity within normal range; Manual dexterity to operate keyboard and calculator.
• Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
• Job responsibilities may require the use of personal or CSE vehicles on CSE business. Must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license, and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for CSE business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a CSE vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
• May work some evenings and weekends or work longer hours to meet deadlines.
• Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment, or shift.
Please apply for this job through our ADP Job Portal or via email at email@example.com