Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals. Our areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
Develop and lead innovative programs to advance the adoption of clean transportation. Provide leadership for CSE transportation program services, including managing day-to-day operations of the team and providing operational oversight to ensure that implementation is aligned with CSE strategies across markets being served. Develop and implement effective business processes to operate and enhance CSE program services.
What you’ll be doing:
- Oversee all aspects of CSE’s transportation programs, including such activities as work plan supervision, budgeting, reporting, analysis, quality control, and employee development and performance.
- Oversee the management of contracts and subcontracts to ensure achievement of contract objectives, including contract negotiation, budget management and results reporting and service delivery.
- Manage daily activities including development of work products required for project administration, facilitating team meetings involving complex issues, interacting with CSE policy and marketing staff, preparing briefing or other materials for presentation, and making presentations in representation of CSE’s programs and mission.
- Work with finance and operations directors to establish programs and lead long-range and annual work planning and budgeting for programs.
- Oversee development of integrated, strategic marketing plans for programs
- Build long-term relationships with customers across the energy sector and ensure project delivery and high levels of customer satisfaction. Engage proactively with the wider group to achieve consistency, optimal delivery and synergy.
- Interact with stakeholders including legislative staff, industry, customers and government agencies.
- Provide timely and useful analysis and advice to Commissioners’ offices, administrative law judges, and CSE management on a wide range of regulatory issues pertaining to transportation and related proceedings.
- Recruit, manage and mentor a team of specialists to support the development and execution of the program strategy.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish and monitor priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Manage department budget and regularly monitor actual expenses versus budgeted amounts. Communicate significant budget variances to executive management. Recommend budget revisions and/or changes to department activities that keep expenses within budget and staff utilization rates on target.
- Promote a culture of respect, performance, continuous learning and a commitment to the individual.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Master’s degree preferred
- 10-15 years of related experience
- 5 years of experience in clean energy industry preferred
- Working knowledge of project management principles, negotiating, executing and managing grant agreements and government contracts.
- Strong leadership track record with potential to develop their career further and the ability to drive a business forward.
- Program management experience, including tactical decision-making, facilitation, communications and the ability to develop and attain goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of large, complex projects.
- Commercially astute with genuine P&L accountability experience.
- Able to develop lasting customer relationships, operating at the highest levels.
- Motivated and inspirational individual, capable of mobilizing a large workforce to ensure the vision is achieved.
- Strong understanding of energy policy issues, environmental stewardship, and energy technologies including renewable sources and energy efficiency.
- Self-directed, effective communicator, strong time management skills, and a creative problem solver.
- Commitment to values of mutual respect and collaboration, teamwork, and diversity.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and management skills.
- Ability to formulate and write complex proposals and development documents.
- Ability to carry out systematic data tracking and reporting processes and implement planned steps from start to finish
- Demonstrated high-level of abilities of various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of a range of energy disciplines
- Track record of successfully managing multiple parallel short-term projects and long-term programs while communicating project status and expectations both in and out of the organization.
- Policy research, analysis and development experience
- Experience with analyzing complex regulatory issues.
- Experience facilitating stakeholder meetings or workshops.
- Ability to work cooperatively with decision makers, market participants, interested parties, and other agencies
- Ability to work under strict deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.