Location: Atlanta, GA
Reports to: President
Founded in 1990 by Ted Turner, the Turner Foundation, Inc. is a private, independent family foundation with a mission to protect and restore our natural systems – air, land, and water – on which all life depends. The Turner Foundation seeks a Program Officer to manage and implement the following philanthropy strategies:
- Land – Conserve land to protect and restore wildlife and biodiversity;
- Water – Protect and restore water resources for people and nature; and
- Growing the movement – This strategy is weaved throughout all areas of funding.
For more information on the Foundation’s funding strategies, geographies, and current grants, please refer to our website www.turnerfoundation.org.
The position reports to the President and the office is located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, Georgia a few blocks away from two transit stations. The Program Officer will be part of a dedicated and passionate team that works together to advance the Foundation’s mission.
- Identifies, solicits, and evaluates funding requests for the above program areas.
- Monitors and analyzes conditions and trends as they relate to the Foundation’s program goals and objectives.
- Applies broad knowledge and expertise to formulate or modify funding guidelines and develop strategic funding strategies.
- Identifies potential new partnerships and grantmaking opportunities.
- Presents funding recommendations to the President and Board of Directors for their consideration at periodic board meetings.
- Monitors and evaluates the impact of grants and programs; reviews and analyzes grantee programmatic and financial reports.
- Conducts site visits, plans and facilitates meetings and events with grantees, funders, Directors, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Represents the Foundation through participation and speaking engagements at meetings and events.
- Collaborates with staff to implement the Foundation’s communication strategies.
- Executes special projects and other duties as assigned by the President and Directors.
Related bachelor degree required, preferably in ecology, natural resource management, environmental science, law, or policy; advanced degree(s) strongly preferred.
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least five years of related experience, preferably in a senior position. Experience in philanthropy and the nonprofit sector is preferred but not required.
- Passion for the Turner Foundation mission.
- Extensive knowledge of the environmental trends we face in the United States especially as it relates to wildlife, public and private land conservation, and watershed protection and restoration.
- Self‐starter, highly motivated, resourceful, and able to manage and prioritize tasks and multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent judgment, resourcefulness, and leadership.
- Ability to organize work, and analyze and synthesize a large amount of complex information.
- Excellent analytical and problem‐solving skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills maintaining professionalism, tact, and diplomacy in all situations.
- Strong communication skills including experience with public speaking, and organizing and facilitating meetings.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office software, social media platforms, ability to learn how to work with online databases.
- Flexibility, sense of humor, and a positive attitude.
Work is mostly done in an office setting but will often require traveling to offsite meetings and conducting site visits. This work can require driving and standing for long periods of time in addition to occasional hiking and paddling. Travel requirements range from 25 to 50 percent. Employee must be able to work under pressure, tight deadlines, and work overtime when necessary.
Compensation and How to Apply
Compensation for this position includes a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Interested candidates should email or mail a cover letter and resume to:
133 Luckie Street, 2nd Floor
Atlanta, GA 30303
Applications must be received by March 19, 2018.
No phone calls please.