LOCATION OF POSITION
The Maryland Department of General Services, Office of Energy Performance and Conservation, is seeking an Energy Data Analyst (Administrator IV). The position is located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
MAIN PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position will support the Chief of Energy Records and Verification in activities related to monitoring State agency energy efficiency initiatives, deregulated energy procurement, and energy performance contracting. The position is responsible for detailed data analysis, report preparation, briefing departmental executives, and managing vendors and technical service contracts.
Duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Support procurement activities for four electricity and natural gas contracts: Retail Electricity (Reverse Auction), Natural Gas Small Firm, Wholesale Electricity (Block & Index), and Wholesale Natural Gas (Block & Index).
- Assist non-State entities who place accounts in the electricity Reverse Auction.
- Review Retail and Wholesale Electricity and Gas suppliers’ monthly electronic billing files for accuracy of calculations, contract unit rates, etc.
- Assist suppliers in resolving billing issues associated with Electricity and Natural Gas supply contracts.
- Audit the Block & Index natural gas bills for contract prices, balancing reports, etc.
- Prepare end of year reports, comparing Block & Index Electricity and Natural Gas unit rate performance to fixed price contracts. Compare Retail Electricity (Reverse Auction) unit rates to Standard Offer Service rates.
- Prepare detailed utility baselines for new Energy Performance Contracts to support the project Measurement & Verification plan. Work with State agencies to acquire billing data necessary for establishing baselines.
- Review contractor annual performance reports for accuracy and compliance with State contract requirements.
- Coordinate with Energy Office project managers to review proposed Energy Services Company (ESCO) baseline adjustments.
- Assist the Director of the Energy Office and Fiscal Services in managing annual office budget.
- Support the Department of Budget and Management in preparing annual budget guidance to agencies for electricity and natural gas expenditure projections.
- Prepare annual surety bond status report for State Treasurer’s Office.
- Audit and track actual administrative fee revenue. Prepare reconciliation reports between Energy Office and DGS Fiscal Services records.
- Coordinate with Energy Data Program Manager in annual Managing for Results (MFR) report preparation.
- Track daily market natural gas and fuel oil prices.
Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of experience in administrative staff or professional work. One year of this experience must have involved one or more of the following: the supervision of other employees, overseeing and coordinating the general operations of a unit, applying rules and regulations, or exercising responsibility for the development of policies or procedures.
1. Additional experience in administrative staff or professional work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of 30 semester credit hours on a year-for-year basis for the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer involving staff work related to the administration of rules, regulations, policy, procedures and processes, or overseeing or coordinating unit operations or functioning as a staff assistant to a higher ranking commissioned officer on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
This position is open to applicants who meet the minimum and selective qualification(s) listed below. A selective qualification recruitment is conducted for positions when there is a specific or additional bona fide occupational qualification (i.e. knowledge, skill, or ability) required.
A minimum of two (2) years of experience with data analysis and report preparation, to include managing and analyzing large, complex data sets and performing calculations.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience analyzing electricity and natural gas bills is strongly preferred.
2. Specialized knowledge of and experience with regulated utility electricity and natural gas tariffs; retail and wholesale energy commodity market settlements; PJM capacity markets and demand response programs; and renewable energy credit markets is desirable.
3. Experience with Microsoft Excel and/or Access is strongly preferred.
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills are highly desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online by visiting the State of Maryland Job Openings website at https://jobapscloud.com/MD/