The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) seeks a dynamic communications manager. A national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, ACEEE aims to advance energy efficiency as a way to boost economic growth, improve health, and protect the environment. We are a mission-driven, collaborative, entrepreneurial organization that offers workplace flexibility and professional development.
We seek a creative, media-savvy, highly-skilled storyteller to promote our robust research and policy work. The manager will craft strategic messaging for high-profile projects that address all aspects of energy efficiency – from technology changes and energy equity to health benefits and job creation. As part of the communications team, the manager will report to the senior director of marketing and communications. The core responsibilities include:
- Work with researchers to develop and edit blog posts, fact sheets, press releases, and other materials Craft and implement plans to release research reports and other projects
- Reach out to media to promote ACEEE’s work and respond to press inquiries
- Oversee social media and related marketing tools
- Lead and coordinate communications efforts for the energy efficiency community
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Superb writing, editing, and speaking skills. The manager will develop and edit written material, interact with media, and host webinars.
- Experience in media and public relations. He/she needs to meet the needs of not only media but also technical experts, policymakers at all levels, and the general public.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines. The manager needs to be well-organized, efficient, and detailed-oriented.
- Ability to lead community-wide communications efforts. The manager will spearhead and coordinate initiatives for the broader energy efficiency community.
- Experience in marketing and social media. He/she needs to promote materials using various platforms and tools, including Facebook and Google advertising. Ideally, the manager would have experience with Pardot and Cision.
- Ability to strategize as well as execute communications plans. The manager needs to see the big picture but also follow through on details.
- Strong interpersonal skills. He/she will collaborate with ACEEE staff members and external stakeholders on cross-cutting projects.
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The manager must be able to work independently as well as in teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, journalism, marketing, or social sciences
- Experience in media and public relations
- Superb writing, editing, and speaking skills
- Five years or more of relevant work experience
- Proven success in marketing
- Demonstrated passion for clean energy, sustainability, or environmental issues
- Knowledge of energy issues
Preferred start date: August/September 2018, based in Washington, DC
Salary: ACEEE offers competitive compensation, based on qualifications and experience, with opportunities for career development. Benefits include ACEEE’s generous package of health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “Communications Manager” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls about open positions.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.