Target Start Date: May 2017
Reports To: Director | Energy Solutions
Location: San Francisco, CA and New York, NY
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for driven and smart Field Technicians to join our Energy Solutions Team, the group responsible for developing and implementing our clean energy service in buildings. We’re a purpose-driven company, dedicated to stopping climate change by reducing the carbon emissions from the built environment. Currently at 35 team members, every person has both the opportunity and responsibility to make an impact on a growing organization. Backed by notable investors, we have 450+ buildings under our belt and a well-tuned and market-tested engineering solution.
We’re looking for people to both innovate and expand our technology and energy service, and help us grow our national presence. Field Technicians will directly influence how we operate, focusing on improvements like: making field work more efficient and effective, expanding our network of contractors, improving feasibility checks on solutions, streamlining contractor management, and applying new methodologies to maximize energy savings potential. The initial career path will be primarily field-focused on delivering financially attractive environmental savings to clients, with many growth opportunities for specialization as our company expands.
The ideal candidate has professional installation, commissioning/testing, controls, or other field work experience and strong mechanical aptitude, and is excited by complex, open-ended, and real world engineering challenges. This person genuinely enjoys working on collaborative teams, and wants to be involved in large scale challenges that require long term persistence. This candidate enjoys real world field implementation work and project coordination, and thinks beyond existing processes in search of better methods.
The role will be based out of New York or San Francisco, and requires traveling locally and nationally on a regular basis.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse provides an actively managed energy service that reduces energy consumption and leverages renewable power to deliver a guaranteed revenue stream for commercial, industrial and educational real estate owners. Established in 2010, the company has served over 450 buildings, cutting the carbon emissions equivalent of three power plants. Using our proprietary energy optimization technology, CLUES™, our engineers analyze new sources of building data to uncover hidden inefficiencies and pin point the most profitable solution for each unique building.
We are a team of 35 people who highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
• Frequent site travel (up to 75%) to mechanical and industrial spaces to assess feasibility of solutions and manage contractors
• Lead and participate in field-based sensor deployment, functional testing, equipment measurements, and other field data collection needs
• Manage gear and sensor inventory, calibration, conditions, and needs
• Work with a variety of Building Automation Systems (BAS/BMS) to assess functionality and limitations, set up and download trends, and identify sequences of operation
• Assist Project Managers in coordinating contractor and client schedules and site access
• Help oversee implementation progress in the field, including: monitor punch lists, take progress photos, obtain status updates from contractors, confirm material deliveries, ensure warranty registration for new equipment
• Conduct site walks for utility incentives and assist in the preparation of incentive forms
• Support simultaneous complex tasks and projects, across multiple client sites
• Support Engineers and Project Managers in acquiring data, developing proposals, and implementing solutions
• Apply real world judgment in assessing risks and uncertainties in the field
• Cultivate effective relationships with contractors, facility engineers, and clients
• Develop new field processes and tools that reduce time, improve contractor relationships, or increase energy savings in delivered solutions
• Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and challenging assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems
• Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission
• 2 years Technical technical Schoolschool, or Bachelor’s degree
• 2+ years work experience
• Demonstrable field work experience, such as: controls & programming, construction, environmental sampling, installation & commissioning, operations & maintenance, or similar
• Mechanical aptitude and ability to work with hands and tools
• Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams
• Excellent organization, attention to detail, and time management skills
• Demonstrable experience solving complex and real-world challenges:
o Able to adapt solutions to changing field conditions and constraints
o Able to create a solution, fail, and iterate
o Exercise initiative and make sound decisions with imperfect information
• Ability to travel to local and national sites (~5-20 days per month)
• Ability to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces
• Ability to lift 40 pounds, and carry 20 pounds up a ladder
• HVAC systems and/or Controls software/hardware background
• Experience working with mechanical, electrical, or controls drawings/schematics
• Experience with mechanical workspace health and safety practices
• EPA Certification (HVAC) or Apprenticeship experience
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Technical sales of any kind
Compensation and Benefits:
• Salary + significant equity
• Medical & Dental & Vision insurance
• Unlimited vacation policy
• Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
• Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form at http://www.carbonlighthouse.com/careers and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we look forward to hearing from you.