Solar (Interconnection Commissioning) Engineer
Advanced Energy is an industry expert providing independent engineering services for utility scale solar photovoltaic (PV) facilities. We are seeking an experienced engineer to join our technical team. The engineer will join a team of highly qualified individuals who are conducting interconnection commissioning for solar PV facilities primarily across North Carolina and South Carolina. We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about quality and ensuring the safety and reliability of distributed energy resources that are connected to the utility grid.
The right candidate will be familiar with design, construction, and commissioning of large scale solar PV facilities and utility distribution systems. A thorough understanding of the National Electrical Code and utility medium voltage distribution construction is preferred
- Review design documentation of utility scale solar PV facilities with attention to the equipment for interconnection to the utility
- Perform field evaluations of utility scale solar PV facilities to assess aspects of the quality of design, construction, and operation
- Conduct interconnection inspections, where knowledge of utility distribution construction standards and relevant national codes and standards is critical
- Conduct commissioning tests (cease to energize testing) at solar PV facilities - Troubleshoot root cause of problems in the field
- Perform engineering analysis on documentation and field testing and present concise results to customers
- Prepare reports and documentation delineating observations, results, and recommendations for further action
The team spends part of their time in the Raleigh office and part of their time visiting utility scale solar PV facilities. Daytime travel typically 1-3 days a week, overnight travel only sometimes necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university; Master’s Degree a plus
- Minimum of 7-10 years of total engineering experience is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with the electric utility industry and 3 years of experience with standard protection equipment for distribution interconnected generation
- Experience working with medium voltage (12 to 35 kv) electrical distribution systems is desirable o Knowledge of utility distribution systems o Knowledge of utility AC construction standards
- A professional engineer (PE) license is preferred