About the Job
We are currently seeking a Senior Project Engineer for our Madison, WI, location. This position will serve as a technical specialist in commercial retro-commissioning and industrial processes and systems to support projects in our Energy Efficiency Business Unit. Candidate should have experience providing energy efficiency technical services, be particularly strong in HVAC systems, be comfortable with hands-on measurements, and must have excellent proficiency with Microsoft Excel. Successful candidates must demonstrate ability to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position. Our clients include public agencies, investor-owned utilities administering ratepayer-funded energy efficiency programs, energy end users, and energy service companies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct/lead energy audits (both scoping-level and investment-grade) at medium to large commercial and industrial facilities to identify and recommend energy efficiency improvements in systems such as but not limited to: HVAC, compressed air, refrigeration, data centers, process heating, industrial processes, motors, boilers, pumping, food processing, and lighting
- Provide technical assistance to support energy efficiency project implementation. Support may include calculations, scope development, implementation details, and/or impacts on operations
- Complete energy modeling, economic analysis, and/or simulation to quantify energy impacts of recommendations
- Write technical reports summarizing results from energy audits and/or retro-commissioning services to quantify savings amounts and incentive payments
- Maintain the highest level of quality control of deliverable products (for your work and others), demonstrating technical excellence, objectivity, and clarity while maintaining project schedules
- Provide advanced technical direction to other staff. Mentor and train junior engineers on various energy efficiency projects, including energy auditing, Measurement & Verification, and commissioning/retro-commissioning
- Conduct measurement and verification of energy savings as warranted
- Meet with clients to co-manage projects, present results, and develop new scopes of work
- Meet overall project budgets and profitability targets
- Provide the highest level of customer service, including reliable and responsive service
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in mechanical or similar engineering preferred; PE preferred or intent to pursue
- A strong understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and principals: HVAC, lighting, motors, thermodynamics, fluids, and heat transfer
- 5 years of experience in a directly related field
- Experience in the following areas is a plus:
oDesign and specification of HVAC, electrical, building automation/controls
oCommissioning and/or retro-commissioning test procedures, schematic diagrams, and system specifications
oBuilding and energy modeling/simulation tools (e.g. Trace, DOE-2, eQuest)
oCalculation of energy savings for commercial HVAC and/or industrial process energy efficiency improvements
oFamiliarity with electrical measurement equipment and how to use it
- Ability to manage multiple projects while meeting deliverable deadlines and budgets
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, presentation, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 32 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business results.
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
• Nexant Energy Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
• Nexant Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
• Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisory provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal.
• Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.