The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a senior analyst for its Health and Environment Program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with an emphasis on professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
The senior analyst supports the Health & Environment program and works with other researchers to contribute to cross-program projects. This position reports to the Manager of the Health & Environment program. Major responsibilities include:
- Manage and coordinate the team’s work in support of policy and program development in states and cities through technical assistance and analysis
- Support policymakers, advocates and ACEEE programs in their consideration of energy efficiency policies and programs that can be used to address issues of health and equity in communities by providing written work products and analysis
- Develop and strengthen relationships with supporting organizations working to protect health and ensure equity for communities and vulnerable populations
- Develop written work products that interpret and analyze regulatory issues at the federal, state and local level, including the role of energy efficiency for compliance with air pollution regulations
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis of the health benefits of energy efficiency policies and programs
- Create written reports, fact sheets, blog posts, webinars, and other outreach materials
- Facilitate webinars and conference calls with external partners
- Present research findings at relevant meetings and conferences
- Helps define strategic direction for research priorities
- Responsible for meeting own project deliverables and managing associated budgets
Expectations and Responsibilities
The senior analyst is part of a team contributing to research and engagement projects focused on the health and environmental impacts of energy efficiency. This is a research and writing position requiring strong research and analytical skills as well as the ability to communicate clearly and logically through written work products. The senior analyst will contribute to the development of materials that explain the features and benefits of energy efficiency programs and policies as they relate to population health including written reports, fact sheets, and other materials. Activities also include working directly with stakeholders in the public health/healthcare, academic, regulatory, and policy sectors. This includes providing major contributions to ACEEE’s Conference on Health, Environment, and Energy. The analyst will provide expertise to other ACEEE teams and work products on an ongoing and as needed basis.
The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to perform multiple tasks independently, and the ability to communicate with and request assistance from a manager as needed. The analyst works with a manager to track progress toward project deliverables and support budgeting and fundraising efforts to ensure project objectives are met.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- At least four years of relevant work experience related to health policy, environmental regulation, energy efficiency and technologies
- Highly analytical and detail-oriented
- Good Excel spreadsheet skills
- Superb organizational and project coordination skills, with the ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Rigorous coursework or work experience in building science, health policy, public health, energy and/or environmental policy
- Demonstrated project coordination experience and significant quantitative analysis experience
- Lead analyst/author on one or more peer-reviewed reports
- Experience with, or sound knowledge of, energy efficiency
- Travel required (approx. 10%)
- An advanced degree in a relevant field including public health, epidemiology, policy analysis, energy, engineering or related subject
- Understanding of US agency rulemaking and federal regulatory processes
- Experience building partnerships and working with advocates and policymakers in state or city government
- Experience facilitating presentations, webinars, conference calls
- Existing relationships with the health policy community
Preferred start date: position is open now and will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found, based in Washington, DC.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes ACEEE’s generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “Health and Environment Program Public Health Analyst” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.