Manager, Policy & Analysis
CLASP is seeking energy efficiency professionals with staff management experience who have an extraordinary mind for program development, execution and administration as well as knowledge and understanding of the interplay between product technology, markets, and policy to bear in the design and execution of our portfolio of policy and analysis initiatives. Our suite of services includes everything from product testing and quality assurance, to energy labeling and consumer communications, to convening local manufacturers, to drafting standards, to measuring the outcomes of specific policies.
Our programs and activities draw on the best policy practices and leading technical expertise worldwide, helping decision makers determine and implement the most appropriate and cost-effective policy solutions. Central among these is to support a new global program on cooling, whose objective is to accelerate the market for highly energy efficient, low global warming potential air conditioners and refrigerators in key markets in Africa and Asia through a combination of efficiency policy and market development programs.
As a Manager you will lead a dynamic international multi-disciplinary team to execute. You will use your stellar people skills and collaborative orientation to build partnerships, expand the reach of our programs, and deliver high-quality, high-impact outcomes. In addition, you will be responsible for the professional development and coaching of coordinators and associates on the team. As you gain experience and build a record of accomplishment you will take on greater ownership of client management and overseeing projects with more complex dynamics.
Ideal candidate will have a track record of success as project managers and as a team leaders - developing and managing project work plans, structuring analyses, assigning work, developing new insights, and addressing relevant issues. In addition, ideal candidates must be able to produce a variety of written work products that are clear, concise, and of impeccable quality, and be able to effectively present their work product to both internal and external audiences.
At the Senior Manager level, you have a record of accomplishment in taking greater ownership of client management and overseeing projects with more complex dynamics.
As a Manager, you must be as deeply committed to your work and your team’s work and the value of it as your colleagues are of theirs, and collaborate effectively with them and others to capture the huge opportunity to accelerate our transition to a more sustainable world.
You will be expected to perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Oversee day-to-day activities on projects and run client interactions in coordination with CLASP’s Senior Management Team.
- Manage projects and programs in collaboration with CLASP’s communications and operations teams.
- Manage coordinators and associate to effectively execute program activities.
- Manage international experts, consultants, and vendors
- Organize stakeholder outreach, research and consultations in coordination with stakeholders and CLASP’s communications and operations teams.
- Lead the preparation of project scope and working planning documents
- Plan outreach activities with the communications team
- Coordinate with external partners as well as colleagues across CLASP
- Monitor and manage project performance against budget, scope progress according to planned milestones, expenses and revenue, and internal and donor reporting
- Assist in developing overall initiative strategy and prioritization of research and project activities
- Lead the presentation of program and project work at workshops and other internal and external events
- Support the Senior Management Team with donor stewardship, business development, and engage directly with foundation and government funders.
Research & Knowledge
- Guide and support junior staff to do high quality research and data analysis
- Manage the development of database and subsequent applications relevant to appliance energy efficiency and energy access.
- Coordinate with partner organizations on research efforts and the creation of linkages and synergies
- Guide the development of quantitative and analytical tools, including complex spreadsheets for energy and economic analysis
- Author or co-author knowledge and outreach products (e.g., reports, briefs, data products, blogs)
- Participate in internal and external peer review processes for publications and papers.
- Develop project proposals and concept notes
- Eight plus years of work experience with a minimum of five years’ experience working either in technical or policy analysis of energy-using products; experience as a technical expert or researcher on energy efficient products and/or as a policy or program expert for energy efficient products preferred; three to five years of experience in energy efficiency, clean energy access, and/or clean cookstoves preferred.
- At least three to five years of professional experience in business development and/or program administration; experience in the clean energy sector or analogous sectors preferred. Familiarity with emerging technology development and with off-grid, rural, or emerging market product distribution and/or supply chains is ideal.
- Familiarity with product policy for energy-using products; the analytical, modeling, and policy tools applied in market transformation policy; and the role of governments in product policy
- Strong project management skills; demonstrated ability to manage multi-governmental teams, projects, and contractors, and to develop strong relationships with stakeholders
- Graduate degree in a suitable field (e.g., environmental science or engineering) or equivalent professional/academic experience
- Background or a demonstrated interest in energy efficiency issues and/or the environmental impact of products
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to write clear and concise reports or briefings in English
- Ability to collaborate with partners and assess the need of stakeholder groups
- Confident and polished communication skills
- Strong creative and analytical skills
- Ability to connect with and influence people in a diverse, international work environment
- Strong work ethic and an ability to take initiative
The compensation package at CLASP is highly-competitive with international NGOs based in the United States. In addition to salary, the package includes health insurance, unlimited leave, holidays, and a retirement plan. Additionally, CLASP is committed to team members having a work-life balance through its flexible work policy.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample here.
CLASP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.