The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a full-time accounting assistant for its finance program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with an emphasis on professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
ACEEE is looking for a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual to assist with basic accounting duties and general office tasks. This position is based in Washington, DC.
The accounting assistant works with the finance team and interacts on a regular basis with all staff members to ensure accurate payment and receipt of funds. The position is responsible for managing accounts payable and accounts receivable as well as tracking various funds and may also be asked to assist with other accounting needs as they arise. The accounting assistant will be supervised by the finance manager with oversight from the finance director.
Essential Functions/Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Receive and verify bills
- Prepare and enter bank deposits
- Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures
- Prepare batches of bills for data entry
- Input bills for payment and manage the weekly electronic check run
- Record all checks
- Prepare vendor checks for mailing
- Maintain listing of accounts payable
- Maintain vendor files and file numbers
- Track incoming payments and outstanding receivables from customers
- Work with the ACEEE conferences team, development team, and research teams to track sponsorships and other incoming payments
- Respond to questions from customers and vendors
- Maintain a filing system for all related financial documents
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all financial and employee files
- Update funders list on a weekly basis: Conferences and Ally Programs
- Reconcile PayPal credit card record for conference registrations
- Assist in the preparation of backup materials for the annual independent audit
- Basic knowledge of GAAP and non-profit accounting
- Highly analytical with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Team player
- Quick learner with working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Strong social skills
- Superb organizational skills with ability to handle competing deadlines
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred or minimum 4 years of accounting experience in lieu of degree.
Preferred Start Date: On or about March 2019.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “Accounting Assistant” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.