The American Council for and Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified senior researcher for its Transportation Program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s Transportation Program covers a range of topics across vehicles and systems. The program is engaged in development and review of policies at the federal, state and local levels to improve the efficiency and reduce emissions of passenger and freight transport. We conduct research to explore potential energy savings of new technologies and strategies. We produce environmental ratings of new cars and light trucks each model years for our website GreenerCars.org.
Our organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to our mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment that promotes professional growth and development. There is a high degree of work flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
The senior researcher position is an excellent opportunity for a candidate with a strong research background, a commitment to public interest work, and a desire to achieve real-world results. The primary focus of this position is saving energy through advances in vehicle technology. This is a central strategy for ACEEE in achieving multiple benefits in the transportation sector including emissions reductions, economic gains, and improved health and equity. The position offers an opportunity to work on timely and dynamic topics, from transportation electrification to development and deployment of connected and automated vehicles in a carbon-constrained environment.
The senior researcher will help to design and advocate for vehicle efficiency policies and will provide technical assistance to outside partners on a variety of vehicle-related topics. S/he will lead research projects, resulting in research reports, formal presentations, and webinars. Other activities will be responsive to external developments and may include preparing regulatory or legislative testimony or comments, participating in coalitions, granting press interviews, and writing blog posts.
The senior researcher reports to the Transportation Program director. S/he does not supervise staff but collaborates closely with other teams at ACEEE. The position is based in Washington, DC.
- Conceptualizing, designing, and executing research projects
- Engaging policymakers, regulators, industry, and public interest groups in actions to advance vehicle efficiency
- Managing and preparing high-quality, complex reports and other publications while setting and keeping to timelines and budgets
- Working with colleagues across ACEEE programs in leading and supporting roles to carry out research, develop and advocate policies, and accomplish internal strategic and organizational objectives
- Representing ACEEE externally to a variety of stakeholders and the media as a recognized expert
- Interacting with funders and pursuing new funding opportunities
This position requires a self-starter and quick learner who is highly analytical and attentive to detail. The successful candidate will be able to master software, models and other analysis tools in a timely fashion for the task at hand. The position requires the ability to meet deadlines, often on multiple projects simultaneously. Candidates should be good at collaborating with others, including ACEEE colleagues and a broad range of external stakeholders. Excellent listening, writing, and speaking skills are essential.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, preferably engineering, physical science, or environmental science
- Expertise related to vehicle technology and transportation sector energy use with at least eight years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality research and to work independently
- Experience advancing policy objectives in coordination with stakeholder groups
- Knowledge of energy, environmental, and transportation policy desirable
Preferred start date:November 15, 2019. The position is located in Washington, DC.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “Senior Transportation Researcher” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls or e-mails about the position.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.