The Department of Citywide Administrative Services’ (“DCAS”) Division of Energy Management (“DEM”) serves as the hub for energy management for City government operations. Today, we develop the City’s annual Heat, Light, and Power Budget; manage the City’s electricity, natural gas, and steam accounts; help our agency partners identify and pursue energy-saving opportunities at their buildings; do energy efficiency and clean power generation projects across the City’s portfolio; and implement operations and maintenance (O&M) best practices.
DEM is tasked with leading the City’s efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (“GHG”) by 80 percent by 2050 from a 2005 baseline (“80 x 50”). The City also has set a near-term goal to reduce GHG emissions from City government operations 40 percent by 2025 and 50 percent by 2030 from a Fiscal Year 2006 baseline. To meet these goals, DEM is committed to collaborating very closely with our agency partners to help them achieve major emissions reductions in their buildings. We are actively working to provide them with the energy efficiency and clean energy project funding, project delivery vehicles, technical expertise, staff resources, strategic planning support, and data analytics that they need to succeed.
DEM seeks to hire a Senior Director, Business Systems to serve within our Operations Unit. The Senior Director will oversee data collection, management, analysis, quality assurance, and reporting efforts across the organization by serving as both a technology project manager and business systems strategist.
With wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, the Senior Director, Business Systems will be charged with the following responsibilities:
• Product management: Leads project management efforts and serves as a primary liaison between DEM, DCAS IT, and external consultants to deliver the next generation of centralized data tracking and analysis systems for DEM. Oversees project planning, schedules, budgets, and scopes of work, with full accountability for the on-time delivery of effective systems that meet business requirements. Continuously works to resolve issues and mitigate project delivery risk.
• Requirements development facilitation: Identifies new business intelligence needs. Guides technology project requirements definition, including identifying business requirements, technology requirements, and user roles. Facilitates information-gathering and feedback-sharing between DEM, DCAS IT, external consultants, and other stakeholders.
• Business intelligence/technology planning: Serves as the in-house business system and technology strategist for DEM, charged with effectively integrating our full set of technology efforts. Helps improve data collection, processing, and integration across DEM, including implementing standardized procedures. Reviews DEM’s business needs on an ongoing basis and provide recommendations for appropriate technology solutions. Coordinates with other DEM staff and DCAS IT to define the cost-benefit tradeoffs of various solutions.
• Performance reporting: Provide regular updates to DEM leadership on the progress of business intelligence projects and efforts. Monitors budget and staff resource allocation and identifies opportunities for improvement. Helps improve performance tracking and reporting across DEM in multiple areas: (a) the energy and emissions performance of City buildings; (b) the performance of DEM-sponsored capital and expense projects; and (c) the performance of DEM programs.
Preferred Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experience to this position:
• Master’s degree in computer science, data analytics, or data science.
• At least eight years of experience with large project management (end-to-end) in the business intelligence area.
• Deep knowledge of data management, integration, and analysis in SQL and NoSQL database environments.
• Capacity to identify necessary data elements and data links, design data integrations, define and document data validation rules, and implement quality assurance protocols.
• Experience serving as an effective project manager who can independently conceptualize and execute assignments from start to finish.
• High productivity; capable of executing projects within prescribed timelines and budgets.
• Strong decision-making skills, with capability to make informed evaluations and recommendations.
• Strong interpersonal skills; able to build and maintain relationships with diverse teams of internal and external stakeholders.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Certification in project management and/or business analysis.
Minimum Required Qualifications
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of satisfactory, full-time experience of a nature to qualify for the duties of the position, at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity or supervising personnel performing activities related to the duties of the position; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. However, all candidates must have the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory
3. experience described in "1" above.
Please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs search for Job ID# 417313