The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a permanent, fulltime Senior Economist for its Economics Program. ACEEE aims to advance energy efficiency as a way to boost economic growth, improve health, and protect the environment. We are a mission-driven, collaborative, entrepreneurial organization that offers workplace flexibility and professional development.
ACEEE has had an economics program for about 25 years. The program conducts research and provides an economic perspective to the work of other ACEEE research programs. The core of our economics work has been macroeconomic analysis on the impacts of specific energy efficiency policies and programs on jobs and other macroeconomic metrics. The program has also been involved in economic development, energy efficiency finance, corporate sustainability, and behavior.
ACEEE seeks a Senior Economist to lead a research agenda that prioritizes economic issues in energy efficiency. Through a combination of research and outreach, the Senior Economist serves as the organization’s leading voice on economic issues. The Senior Economist may also assist with ACEEE’s work on financing and corporate energy efficiency efforts, depending on interest and expertise in these areas. The Senior Economist works closely with ACEEE’s executive team and other ACEEE programs to ensure high-quality research that advances ACEEE’s mission. He/She will be responsible for leading, managing and growing ACEEE’s Economics Program. The Senior Economist will work with researchers across the organization and will have the opportunity to hire additional staff to support new funded work.
Candidates who want to maintain a reputation in academic circles will be encouraged to publish in peer-reviewed journals, speak at academic conferences, and may want to pursue an adjunct appointment at a local university.
- Develop, articulate, and implement a vision and work plan for the ACEEE Economics Program
- Conduct research on economic and energy efficiency topics with a focus on analysis that defines and quantifies the macroeconomic benefits of energy efficiency
- Lead outreach and technical assistance to policymakers and program implementers on economic issues relating to energy efficiency programs and policies
- Represent ACEEE in external discussions and debates on economic and policy issues, e.g., through speaking roles, conferences, roundtable discussions, testimony, and written commentary
- Provide rapid response to assertions about the economics of energy efficiency investments
- Build, develop, and cultivate relationships with key partners
- Further ACEEE’s reputation as an important, credible, and authoritative voice in setting standards for economic research in the efficiency field
- Serve as a research advisor on ACEEE research projects, offering guidance and support
- Supervise Economics Program team members, coaching staff in their research, career development, and meeting program goals and schedules
- Educate ACEEE staff on economic issues
- Fundraise in support of the research agenda and work of the Economics Program, in close coordination with the Director of Development and the executive team
- Provide high quality program administration, including budget and schedule management
- Advanced degree in Economics (PhD preferred)
- At least five years working experience in the economics field
- Experience conducting economics research on programs and policies; experience with energy efficiency programs and policies preferred
- Strong writing, quantitative analysis and communications skills
- Superb organizational and project management skills
- Familiarity with input-output analysis
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, fundraising and relationship management experience and strong demonstrated success managing key external relationships
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Knowledge about economic development, energy efficiency finance and/or corporate sustainability efforts is a plus but not required
Start date: Fall or Winter 2018
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. ACEEE offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Senior Economist” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.