POSITION: Local Governments Program Manager
South-central Partnership for Energy Efficiency as a Resource (SPEER) is one of six regional energy efficiency organizations in the United States working to transform the energy efficiency marketplace through collaborative public policy, thought leadership, outreach programs, and technical advisory services. We promote energy efficiency as a catalyst for economic growth, grid reliability, and energy security in Texas and Oklahoma. www.eepartnership.org
SPEER’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of advanced building systems and energy efficient products and services in the South-central US. Our purpose is to create a forum to advance the understanding and adoption of energy efficiency as a low-cost energy resource; and to design, implement, coordinate, and support regional projects to promote high energy performance and clean distributed energy in the built environment.
LOCAL GOVERNMENTS PROGRAM BACKGROUND
SPEER works to advance energy efficiency in local governments through a variety of initiatives:
- Collaboration with the City Efficiency Leadership Council which includes representatives from various departments within the cities ranging from sustainability managers, directors and energy efficiency leaders.
- The collection and creation of resources for city leaders to use for information sharing on energy efficiency initiatives and projects.
- Providing a forum for cities with the opportunity to discuss current energy efficiency projects, barriers and identify new projects.
- Assist cities in understanding options for efficiency projects and expanding the adoption of efficiency projects or programs in Texas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will require the applicant to provide technical support, as well as undertake research, or convene meetings or forums for educational purposes regarding local government energy efficiency for stakeholders. The responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Effectively engaging with a wide range of technical stakeholders (e.g. state employees, municipality staff, utilities, etc.);
- Delivering support for advancing efficiency within local governments;
- Communicating the benefits of energy efficiency and demand response, or our programs and initiatives, in writing or verbally, to a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Responding to technical questions about commercial lighting, HVAC, chillers, boilers, insulation, building envelope, plug loads, water conservation, and building automation systems.
- Providing content and expertise for grant applications and other written documents;
- Coordinating and/or presenting training programs;
- Managing project deliverables and timelines; and
- Preparing quarterly reports and program updates.
To be successful in the position, independent initiative will be required along with the ability to quickly acquire new information, to work effectively with team members and other organizations, and to express complex ideas in a clear and compelling manner.
SPEER is seeking a candidate with the following attributes:
- Strong understanding of energy efficiency programs and how local governments are operated and managed;
- Experience working with or working in local governments;
- Creativity, especially for problem solving in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work on multiple projects and adapt to shifting priorities;
- Experience preparing and organizing meetings;
- Self-directed and takes initiative; and
- A balance between self-confidence, humility, professionalism and humor.
- Demonstrated presentation skills;
- Some commercial building energy auditing or benchmarking experience;
- Ability to engage in unique, collaborative partnerships; and
- A passion for energy efficiency.
College education is required. An advanced degree is a plus, especially in energy or environmental policy, planning, engineering, economics, or related fields.
At least 5 years of relevant professional experience is required for this position. SPEER is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
LOCATION AND SALARY
This position is based out of SPEER’s main office in Austin, Texas. Up to 20% of time may be required for travel in the region. Occasional trips out of the region may be required. Salary is commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
All qualified candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls please.