The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, D.C., seeks an intern for its Local Policy program to assist in developing the City Energy Efficiency Scorecard, one of ACEEE’s premier publications, and support upcoming community resilience-related research. ACEEE acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
Position Description: The intern will support ACEEE’s Local Policy Program, providing research and administrative support for the City Energy Efficiency Scorecard and the State and Local Policy Database. This position will support data collection efforts related to local government and utility energy efficiency programs, and may also collaborate with researchers to analyze city-specific data on policy performance and citywide energy consumption. The intern will also contribute to a new research report on the role of energy efficiency in local energy resilience planning. The intern may also contribute to other local policy work on an as-needed basis. The intern in this position will gain an understanding of local energy efficiency policies and programs and how they relate to cities’ clean energy goals and community resilience priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conduct research on local energy efficiency policies and programs to support the development of the 2019 City Energy Efficiency Scorecard.
2. Assist research efforts for the City Energy Efficiency Scorecard through support of data collection and input.
3. Manage updates to the Local Policy Database of city-led efficiency programs using publicly available data to document new programs and policies and edit information on outdated/altered policies.
4. Provide research assistance for a report examining the role of energy efficiency in local energy resilience.
5. Assist, as needed, with other research efforts related to local energy efficiency policy.
6. Upon completion of the internship, the intern will have contributed to two ACEEE reports due for release in Summer 2019.
1. Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably working towards an advanced degree in a relevant academic area.
2. Interest in and familiarity with a range of energy efficiency policies and/or local level sustainability policies strongly preferred. Familiarity with energy-efficient technologies preferred, but not required.
3. Strong internet and interview-based research ability. Experience researching local legislation and policy strongly preferred.
4. Experience with basic quantitative analysis, including experience working with large datasets in Microsoft Excel.
5. Strong writing and oral communication skills required as well as attention to detail.
6. Self-motivation and ability to manage multiple assignments (as needed), work efficiently, and meet deadlines.
Timing: This is a 20 week internship starting in early or mid-January 2019. The project will require a time commitment of 25-35 hours/week.
To Apply: Please send a resume with cover letter and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Local Policy Intern” in the subject header. We do not accept calls about our internships.
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) is a nonprofit organization that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors. ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.