Optimal Energy is looking for a Technical Consultant to help bolster and expand our capabilities, particularly in the commercial buildings sector. We are an industry leader in energy efficiency and demand side management analysis; our staff are experts in planning, program design, evaluation, and technical research. Our clients include utilities, efficiency program administrators, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. We actively promote integrated clean energy resources that are low-cost, least-risk, and offer the most environmentally responsible ways to meet local and national energy needs.
Our model is successful and our client list is growing. Six of the top ten most efficient states as ranked by ACEEE are current Optimal Energy clients. We have major contracts in Delaware, Illinois, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. Our company and our staff are led by our values: clear communication, a culture of autonomy and innovation, and building long-term relationships with our clients. Our staff is collaborative and team-oriented, and we support their environmentally conscious and healthy lifestyles.
The successful applicant will conduct engineering reviews of energy efficiency and clean energy programs, plans and projects, perform complex research and analysis tasks, mentor junior staff on technical matters, liaise with clients and engineering firms, and perform other work requiring an understanding of the technical aspects of the program and an engineering perspective. The ideal candidate will have experience in commercial, institutional, and industrial energy efficiency to assist with technical aspects of program design and delivery. Depending on the Consultant’s level of experience, they may be fully responsible for effective and timely production of final project deliverables, staff management, and regular client contact.
- Research, analyze, and design energy efficiency, demand side management, and other advanced energy resources programs, strategies, and policies
- Provide subject matter expertise in energy efficient equipment and processes
- Conduct site visits to client locations to assess existing facility or equipment conditions
- Perform engineering calculations for energy consuming equipment and program cost-effectiveness
- Provide training, technical assistance, and guidance on energy efficient technologies, including emerging technologies and practices to companies participating in utility-sponsored programs
- Develop a variety of measurement and verification (M&V) plans
- Utilize analytical tools and M&V methodologies to evaluate the performance of, and make recommendations for, energy systems and equipment
- Assist senior management in preparing project scopes and budget to support of business development
- Manage projects, tasks, staff, and subcontractors to produce deliverables on time and on budget
- Knowledge of the latest energy-efficiency, demand-side management, and distributed generation technologies, practices, policies, and programs that promote environmental and economically beneficial strategies for meeting energy needs; renewable energy, energy storage, and combined heat and power systems knowledge is highly desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that support our focus on producing clear, concise, and understandable deliverables
- Facility with economic analysis and an analytical mindset that generates trustworthy, accurate results
- Degree in engineering preferred, other related fields will be considered
- At least 5 years experience with energy efficiency and clean energy technologies in the commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and/or Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP)
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and deadlines
- Excellent math and computer skills
What We Offer
- A congenial, relaxed work environment in Hinesburg, Vermont, 15 minutes from the vibrant city of Burlington. There is potential to work from our office in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Competitive salary; generous retirement plan; fully-funded health, dental, disability, and life insurance
- Excellent opportunity for professional development and advancement
While we have listed our preferred skills and qualifications, we are interested in from hearing applicants with a variety of strengths and experience. Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Technical Consultant 2018.” We look forward to hearing from you!
Optimal Energy, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action company, committed to diversity and inclusion in hiring, employment, and operations. We encourage applications from people who are or have been historically underrepresented in the clean energy economy.