Optimal Energy is looking to fill a Senior Policy Consultant position. We are an industry leader in energy efficiency and demand side management analysis; our staff are experts in planning, program design, evaluation, and technical research. Our clients include utilities, efficiency program administrators, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. We actively promote integrated clean energy resources that are low-cost, least-risk, and offer the most environmentally responsible ways to meet local and national energy needs.
Our model is successful and our client list is growing. Six of the top ten most efficient states as ranked by ACEEE are current Optimal Energy clients (http://www.optenergy.com/about-us/where-we-work/). We have major contracts in Delaware, Illinois, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. Our company and our staff are led by our values: clear communication, a culture of autonomy and innovation, and building long-term relationships with our clients. Our staff is collaborative and team-oriented, and we support their environmentally conscious and healthy lifestyles.
The Senior Policy Consultant will play a key role in current and future projects, primarily in support of our state energy office and advocacy group clients. This work requires broad knowledge of energy policy at the state and federal level; an ability to communicate complex concepts to a broad range of audiences; and the skills to coordinate the activities of other staff, other consultants, and client personnel. The Senior Policy Consultant will often be fully responsible for effective and timely production of final project deliverables, and they will interact regularly with clients, contribute to client management, and potentially manage other Optimal Energy staff.
- Advise clients on all aspects of energy policy, particularly related to energy efficiency, demand side management, and clean energy technologies; utility business models; and other advanced energy resources programs, strategies, and policies
- Serve as an expert witness before public utility commissions, other regulatory entities, and state executive branch agencies
- Advise clients on effective implementation of energy efficiency programs and on policies that promote low-cost, environmentally responsible, and sustainable energy resources
- Perform economic analysis, including cost-benefit analysis, of energy resources
- Manage projects, tasks, staff, and subcontractors to produce deliverables on time and on budget
- Assist in marketing Optimal Energy’s consulting services by developing project proposals and budgets
- Identify and recruit prospective clients and maintain on-going client interaction
- Knowledge of the latest energy-efficiency, demand-side management, and distributed generation policies, programs, regulatory approaches, and public sector initiatives that promote environmental and economically beneficial strategies for meeting energy needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that support our focus on producing clear, concise, and understandable deliverables
- Experience working within, coordinating, or facilitating complex stakeholder processes
- Facility with economic analysis and an analytical mindset that generates trustworthy, accurate results
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business, economics, engineering, public policy or other related field required; four years minimum experience with energy efficiency and/or renewable energy desired
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and deadlines
What We Offer
- Congenial, relaxed work environments in Hinesburg, Vermont, 15 minutes from the vibrant city of Burlington, and in Providence, Rhode Island
- Competitive salary; generous retirement plan; well-funded health, dental, disability, and life insurance
- Excellent opportunity for professional development and advancement, limited only by your imagination and drive
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Policy Consultant 2018”
Optimal Energy, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action company, committed to diversity and inclusion in hiring, employment, and operations. We encourage applications from people who are or have been historically underrepresented in the clean energy economy.