The NYEM Technical Sales Specialist is responsible for providing subject matter expertise on the New York Energy Manager (NYEM) services and solutions in support of NYPA’s Business Development team. Supports the configuration of New York Energy Manager solutions, including appropriate hardware, software, and advisory services, to meet customers’ needs and desired outcomes. Serves as an integral part of the sales process and will be motivated to work as a key contributor to NYEM’s corporate, business, and productivity goals.
The New York Energy Manager (NYEM) is a digital energy management service and program provided by the New York Power Authority (NYPA) for its customers.
- Provide subject matter expertise and technical support to an experienced team of NYPA Business Development professionals in the sale of the New York Energy Manager solutions for new and existing customers.
- Meet with prospective customers to ascertain their energy management needs, challenges, and address any technical or implementation questions that the customer may have.
- Articulate the value proposition for a NYEM solution as it relates to the customer’s needs and desired outcomes.
- Develop site assessment forms and statements of work.
- Provide NYEM software demonstrations in the field and via webinar.
- Work with a matrixed team, including a proposal development specialist, to develop the Letter to Scope, Proposal, Statement of Work, pricing and payment schedules, and other contract-related documents.
- Work closely with NYEM data analysts to gather pre-scoping technical documentation.
- Review and analyze technical documents and energy data to make recommendations and support solution development.
- Work with the customer, NYPA Business Development managers, and NYEM Data Analysts to determine the right-sized solution to meet the customer’s needs - including whole building meters, sub-meters, asset-level meters and sensors, and integration of existing BMS data or other systems where applicable.
- Contribute to the strategy, structure, and content for new consulting and advisory services or programs designed specifically for NYEM.
- Contribute to the development and deployment of new products and services for NYEM.
- Systematically collect market insights and customer feedback to share with the broader NYEM marketing and product development.
- Identify champion users who can attest to the value of NYEM.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to actively listen to the customer and to articulate, in writing and verbally, their challenges and goals.
- Ability to establish energy management credibility with a variety of customers across market segments including commercial, industrial, institutional, and municipal.
- Ability to translate customer challenges and needs into a problem; ability to develop and configure solutions to address customer’s problem and deliver value.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with customers and within the industry.
- Ability to review and interpret technical documents including, but not limited to: utility bills; electrical and facility drawings; environmental surveys; Building Management System (BMS) drawings and reports; data communication protocols; and solutions architecture diagrams.
- Demonstrated high level of personal motivation, creativity, foresight, and good judgment. Must have motivational skills that inspire less senior engineers to succeed.
- Motivated to achieve individual and team goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; good written and verbal communication skills; and the ability to organize information and effectively present ideas to the intended audience.
- Able to articulate energy, facility, and IoT-related technical content to non-technical audiences, both internal and external.
- Highly organized and able to work on multiple tasks and maintain multiple relationships simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work with respect to customer expectations and project schedules and deliver results in a timely manner.
- Ability to learn and follow NYPA’s policies, operations, procedures and business objectives as well as those of the customers.
- Keen interest in the opportunity to work on varied projects and programs; intellectually curious and passionate about learning new things.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Minimum 3-5 years professional experience in energy, utilities, energy management, building or facility management, building management systems, metering, IoT platforms or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business management, economics, mathematics, computer science or the equivalent preferred.
- M.S., or Masters in engineering preferred.
- Prior energy management software/platform experience preferred.
- Prior Technical Sales/Technical Project Development experience or software sales experience preferred.
- Experience with building management systems and controls preferred.
- Analytical reporting and/or data analysis experience preferred.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Professional Engineer (PE), or LEED credentials preferred.
Approximately 50% travel to New York State customer sites and internal meetings, as well as conferences and other relevant events throughout New York State, and nationally if required.
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Nearest Major Market: Albany