Only applications through the Fairfax County Government website will be accepted. No emails or phone calls. Please apply at the link.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Policy and Accountability, within the Office of Environmental and Energy Coordination (OEEC), this position has primary responsibility for the development, implementation and management of a communications program in support of the Office of Environmental and Energy Coordination (OEEC) and its mission. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in the planning, advertising and hosting of workshops, forums and other public events related to the county's Community Energy and Climate Action Plan (CECAP).
- Develops case studies, press releases, and other content that highlights and promotes activities and achievements in the programs and initiatives that support the Board of Supervisor's Environmental Vision, including the Operational Energy Strategy (OES).
- Coordinates with OEEC staff to ensure a vibrant OEEC presence on the county's website and its social media accounts; and will have primary responsibility for the production of all communication tools (print, multimedia, online) in support of the OEEC's mission including periodically conducting audience or constituent research to evaluate and measure the effectiveness of OEEC communications initiatives, efforts and programs.
- Supervises and manages all communication planning and programs for the department;
- Planning and implementing photographic coverage of events;
- Plans and implements a Speakers Bureau or plans speaking engagements for department;
- Makes presentations on behalf of the department to community and County;
- Plans and implements event and meetings;
- Writes speeches for presentation to community and County;
- Writes proposals in support of departmental goals and projects;
- Produces multimedia productions to support the goals of the department (multimedia may include audio, video or online productions);
- Implements and supervises the implementation of print production projects;
- Implements and supervises the implementation of website development and new media projects;
- May serve as spokesperson for the department with the media;
- Budgeting and cost control for communication projects that are supervised;
- Conducts audience / constituent research for evaluation and measurement of communication programs;
- Serves as a member of the department's communication planning (strategic planning, action planning) team;
- Makes public presentations on behalf of department.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use photography equipment and to plan photography coverage;
- Ability to format online media and to write for multimedia;
- Ability to use current computer software and email;
- Ability to develop or create Web sites;
- Ability to solve problems and to work under pressure;
- Ability to be able to manage projects (including budgeting);
- Ability to be able to communicate in a crisis;
- Ability to adapt broadly defined policy guidance to specific situations with a minimal amount of supervision;
- Ability to participate in meaningful interchange of views on matters of critical importance to the County;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, the press, and County employees.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to a bachelor's degree in communication, journalism, public administration, political science, or field related to a department's business, plus five years of progressively responsible experience in communication area of specialization or area of specialization of department represented.
Sufficiently mobile to attend offsite meetings both during and after normal working hours and to make presentations.
This position is primarily sedentary in nature; however visual acuity to work on electronic equipment such as a computer monitor and typing on a keyboard are essential to the position. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.