Internship Opening: The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, D.C., seeks an intern for its Industrial Program to work in the area of energy efficiency policy. ACEEE acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
Position Description: This intern position will support the Industrial Program at ACEEE by researching policy measures for reducing energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to slash the environmental footprint. The research will focus on federal, state, and local programs in the US for energy intensive industries. Working with other members of the Industrial Program team, the intern’s main duties will be to identify effective policy approaches to accelerate energy/GHG reductions and bolster the business case to support those approaches. The intern will gain an understanding of the challenges and opportunities in industrial sectors for energy and GHG transformation, interface between technology/ business/policy, and influence of policy In spurring action.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Research policy measures employed to enable/spur industrial response to emissions/energy step-changes (federal, state, and local as appropriate)
2. From the survey of learnings on policy measures, identify best practices that would enable energy intensive industries to make step-change reductions in energy use and GHG emissions
3. Help build the business case for policy proposals (potential impact of policy measures, including jobs created or supported, energy saved, GHGs avoided, economic impact…)
4. Incorporate work into proposals for the Industrial Program team, present finding in internal talks, and summarize findings in white papers, and document findings in a final paper.
1. Graduate degree (preferred) or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably working towards an advanced degree in a relevant academic area.
2. Interest in and familiarity with a range of energy efficiency policies. Familiarity with energy-efficient technologies preferred, but not required.
3. Strong internet and interview-based research ability. Experience researching legislation and policy strongly preferred.
4. Strong writing and oral communication skills required.
5. Self-motivation and ability to manage multiple assignments (as needed), work efficiently, and meet deadlines.
6. Satisfactory performance will be indicated by written and verbal summaries of findings to team members.
Timing: This is a 12 week internship starting [September] 2019, as soon as the candidate is available. The project time is commitment is flexible for part to full time employment, and hence will require a time commitment of 15-40 hours/week. Interns are expected to be present in the office during their designated work hours.
To Apply: Please send a resume with cover letter and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Industrial Sector Policy Intern” in the subject header. We do not accept calls about our internships.
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) is a nonprofit organization that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors. ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.