Updated May 2018
Personal Information We May Collect
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person, including:
- Postal address
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Credit and debit card information
How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We may collect Personal Information through the Services, such as when you register to download a research report, make a contribution or register for a conference.
- From Other Sources: We may collect Personal Information from or about you from other online and offline sources, such as public databases, providers of demographic information, joint marketing partners, social media platforms, people with whom you are connected on social media, and other third parties.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information to perform an agreement with you, to comply with a legal obligation, or for our legitimate business interests, including:
- To respond to your inquiries and to offer you products, programs and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To fulfill your requests for our products, programs and services, such as to send you newsletters.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To complete your purchase or donation, including to communicate with you regarding it and provide you with related customer service.
- For our internal purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products and services, enhancing, improving or modifying the Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
We do not sell, trade, or share Personal Information with third parties for their own fundraising or marketing purposes, nor do we use Personal Information we collect to send fundraising or marketing mailings on behalf of other organizations, except as indicated below:
- We may disclose your name and affiliation to our conference attendees, if you have attended the same conference.
- We may disclose your name and affiliation to our Ally Program members and conference sponsors, as indicated on our conference registration form, unless you have opted out of such disclosure.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, e-mail delivery, auditing, and other similar services.
- You may disclose your Personal Information on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose will become public and may be available to other users and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on or through the Services.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
In addition, we may use or disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
In some jurisdictions, Other Information will qualify as Personal Information. In these jurisdictions, we will treat Other Information as Personal Information, in which case we may use it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do so, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined. In all other cases (when Other Information does not qualify as Personal Information), we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law.
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Using cookies: Cookies are pieces of information that a Web site can send to your browser to provide information, which is then stored on your hard drive. Cookies save your preferences and allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Services, pages visited, language preferences and other anonymous traffic data. We and our service providers use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the Services. We also gather statistical information about the usage of the Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions about them.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- IP Address: Your IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels of the Services, diagnosing server problems, and administering the Services.
- From you: Demographic and other information, such as your interest in various programs and services, is collected when you voluntarily provide it.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress or delete Personal Information that you have previously provided to us, you may contact us by: email@example.com. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you enroll for a conference, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion enrollment). There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics or criminal background) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
firstname.lastname@example.org or ACEEE, 529 14th St. N.W., Ste. 600, Washington, D.C. 20045. Because e-mail communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mails to us.